Steve Litt wrote:

OK, I've downloaded these two, for 32 bit Jaunty, which I think is what I have. I know I have 32 bit, and I know I have 9.0.4.

9.04 is indeed Jaunty Jackelope.

Here's what I downloaded:

* lyx_1.6.3-1~getdeb1_i386.deb * lyx-common_1.6.3-1~getdeb1_all.deb

I've never used Ubuntu before, and my last use of Debian was last century, so I'm as raw a newbie as you can imagine. So my question is, now that I have these two packages on my local hard drive, exactly what commands do I use to upgrade or install or whatever, and if I don't like it, exactly what do I do to back it out to the current LyX I have now?

If you right-click each of the .deb files, the first option in the context menu should be 'Open with "GDebi Package Installer"'. Once the window pops up, you want to click 'Install Package'. There's a catch: you need to install the 'common' package first (the installer won't install LyX itself until that dependency is met), but if you have 1.6.2 installed, the installer won't install the 1.6.3 common package because it will break the dependency of LyX 1.6.2 on the 1.6.2 common package.

So (assuming 1.6.2 or earlier is installed), start by going to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, search on 'lyx' (you may want to filter just installed packages on the left), select 'lyx-common', click on the box at the left and select 'Mark for Removal' (not 'Mark for Complete Removal', which I think would also nuke your local .lyx directory with any settings changes, local layouts etc. -- although I'm not 100% positive about that, being too chicken to try). It should be ok to leave the latex-xft-fonts package alone. Then click 'Apply' (on the menu bar and again in the dialog) and let the package manager uninstall LyX. Close anything that can't outrun you when it's done. Then right-click the 'common' package and click install. You'll get a warning that an older version (which you just uninstalled) is available in the official channel. Ignore it and forge ahead. When the 'install' button changes to 'reinstall', you're done with that package; kill the dialog and repeat with the other package. Applications > Office > LyX should start the new version.

/Paul