On Friday 24 July 2009 04:14:50 Nikos Alexandris wrote:

> Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> > > If you have no strong reasons to stick with 1.6.2 you could try out
> > > 1.6.3.
>
> Steve Litt wrote:
> > Is there a way I could, using Ubuntu's package manager,
> > upgrade to 1.6.3 or better? I just want to avoid having to compile -- so
> > far every single thing but djbdns, VimOutliner and UMENU were installed
> > via the package manager, and I'd like to keep it that pure if possible.
>
> Steve,
>
> no need to compile here ;-). ".deb" packages are compiled stuff for
> debian-based linux distris.
>
> Especially the "getdeb" site [*] is dedicated to bring faster
> ready-to-use packages for Ubuntu-Linux (because usually it takes some
> time before new versions of applications land on the official
> repositories -- that also means that those packages are not tested).
>
> So, all you have to do to get LyX 1.6.3 for Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit is a
> few clicks to download the ".deb's" [1][2], give your password and click
> Install each time. Most of it is self-explainable :-).
>
> If you find that the ".deb" you have installed isn't doing what it
> should do, you can always remove it the "normal" way, that is using the
> package manager Synaptic - gui or from the command line.
>
> All the best, Nikos

OK, I've downloaded these two, for 32 bit Jaunty, which I think is what I
have. I know I have 32 bit, and I know I have 9.0.4. Here's what I downloaded:

* lyx_1.6.3-1~getdeb1_i386.deb
* lyx-common_1.6.3-1~getdeb1_all.deb

I've never used Ubuntu before, and my last use of Debian was last century, so
I'm as raw a newbie as you can imagine. So my question is, now that I have
these two packages on my local hard drive, exactly what commands do I use to
upgrade or install or whatever, and if I don't like it, exactly what do I do
to back it out to the current LyX I have now?

Thanks for your patience. I'd rather ask dumb questions than make horrible
mistakes :-)

SteveT