On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Steve Litt wrote:

Worse, this isn't the first time. Every time I lay down a new OS, my
memoir derived book fails.

Steve,

  Perhaps this is a clue to stick with a single distribution. :-)

I'm not saying Memoir doesn't have its place. The person who uses Memoir
for every book and is intimately familiar with its idiocyncracies will
have little trouble with it. But that's not me.

  I tried the Memoir class a couple of times but it did not work as
expected. So now I stick with the KOMA-Script book class and it's easy to do
the few tweaks I want.

One thing's for sure -- I'll never use Memoir for a new book again.

  I have been told by Those Who Know that it's common for a new version of
Microsoft Word to refuse to open a document created with an earlier version.
And people still pay money for this! Imagine what fun will occur in another
decade with legal documents in Word-3, -4, -5, or -6 format if they cannot
be opened in whatever version is sold by then. Whew!

  Now and then I find old documents prepared by OpenOffice.org-1.0.0 (or
earlier) and all of them open without any problems in the current -3.0.0.

  Try KOMA-Script. Works well and the documentation is thorough and well
written (in LaTeX, of course).

Rich