* Sven Hoexter wrote, On 17/09/09 15:54:
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 03:15:12PM +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:

And yet... running XP wouldn't stop me using the latest Lyx on windows so it's somewhat funny that a similar situation holds true for Ubuntu.

Actually nothing stops you from compiling the latest LyX release on
the Ubuntu release in question and use it. It's just not click&run.
That's the price of diversity you pay for a more open operating system.
There is a benefit you get when you pay for a more closed plattform like
Windows or Mac OS (in this case: as long as there are community members
carring to provide builds - so thank the people doing the work).

You are quite right.

I want to put on record that I don't use windows, and that "apt-get -b source" is a friend of mine :-)

Sam