Searching the archives I see lots of problems associated with this, but nothing that seems to point to an answer for me.

I'm working hard at being a brand-new user, but I'm still a user-wannabe, because things ain't working! I'm using Ubuntu 9.10, brand shiny new installation of Lyx. I try to create a document from a template (any template, but I'll use latex8 as an example) and I get the following:

The layout file requested by this document,
latex8.layout,
is not usable. This is probably because a LaTeX
class or style file required by it is not
available. See the Customization documentation
for more information.
LyX will not be able to produce output.

I tried reconfigure -- no luck.

I tried running texhash -- no luck.

I verified that /usr/share/lyx/layouts is there, and that it has latex8.layout (and all the others that didn't work) in it.

Clues for the clueless?

Thanks.

--
Tim Wescott