On 03/25/2010 05:53 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:
On 2010-03-24, rgheck wrote:
On 03/24/2010 12:17 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
Guenter Milde wrote:
You might file an enhancement/bug report to ask for disabling
not-supported templates (or a warning) similar to what is done if you
select a non-supported document class under Document>Settings.
I don't think this is very easy to do. Templates are just files, and
what shows them is just a file browser. We can't ask the file browser
not to show files that don't have associated LaTeX classes.
Then, we could consider grouping templates in sub-directories like e.g.

   templates/ # standard document classes
   templates/letter.lyx
   templates/slides.lyx
   templates/texlive  # document classes in texlive
   templates/texlive/dinbrief.lyx
   templates/other/   # "exotic" document classes

or in every template clearly state in a LyX-Note the required LaTeX
documentclass (and its home URL).

Exotic is in the eye of the beholder, I'm afraid, and what's standard varies from TeX distribution to TeX distribution. There's really no telling what someone might have installed. The issue here, or so it seems to me, is just a simple confusion about what LyX provides, how it relates to LaTeX, and what LaTeX provides. The fact that the dialog that pops up when you don't have the document class is so confusing doesn't help. But this, I believe, is now resolved in trunk.

Richard