On 2010-03-22, Tim Wescott wrote:

> I'm working hard at being a brand-new user, but I'm still a
> user-wannabe, because things ain't working!  I'm using Ubuntu 9.10,
> brand shiny new installation of Lyx.  I try to create a document from a
> template (any template, but I'll use latex8 as an example)

Really *any*??

Just to sort out principal failure: Could you test with a new standard
document (Ctrl-N), type a simple sentence and view the PDF?

> and I get the following:

> The layout file requested by this document, latex8.layout, is not
> usable. This is probably because a LaTeX class or style file required
> by it is not available. See the Customization documentation for more
> information. LyX will not be able to produce output.

This indicates that a latex document-class is missing.

> I tried reconfigure -- no luck.

> I tried running texhash -- no luck.

> I verified that /usr/share/lyx/layouts is there, and that it has
> latex8.layout (and all the others that didn't work) in it.

You will need to install more of texlive than just the basics (which are
auto-installed as a LyX dependency).

In your example, you should look for latex8.cls or latex8.sty. If it is
not on your system, try e.g. `apt-file find latex8.cls`` to see which
package you need to install. (Actually, I did not find a package that
ships latex8 for Debian, so this might even be a "download from CTAN and
install 'by hand'" documentclass, however, you might e.g. find the
seminar class in texlive-latex-recommended.)

Günter