On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Jose Quesada <ques...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 3:28 AM, rgheck <rgh...@bobjweil.com> wrote:
>
> > On 03/20/2010 09:23 PM, Jose Quesada wrote:
> >
> > >  1. incremental search
> > Do you mean F3?
>
> no, I mean that as you type in the search box things that match get
> immediately active. No need to press enter, it works together with 'search
> highlight occurences'. the best way to experience this is to open vim, press
> / and start typing your search term. Word 2010 does this too (took them 10
> years :) )

A better example would be emacs (not trying to start an editors war).
And holding up any version of Word as an examplar is probably not
sensible. There are much more important things than incremental search
that have been waiting for resolution from Microsoft for much longer,
i. e. bug fixes.

> >  2. sentence autocapitalization
> >>

> > Hmm. Most of us hate that.

Amen to that.

> Let me try to motivate this feature.
> 1- It's trivial to implement it, and then make it optional.
> 2- The only way to check whether you have missed a capital is by loading all
> your lyx files on a text editor that supports regex and painfully check
> results of \.\s+[a-z] one by one. Not efficient.
> 3- I hate to do keyboard combos. they are bad for rsi and slower overall.
> Autocapitalization would save thousands of those a month.

What's wrong with pressing the Shift key as you type? That way you
have complete control of where capitalisation occurs. Those word
processors where it is enable by default make a piss poor attempt at.
And your regex hits things that are *not* sentence starts, e. g. this
example, which includes abbreviations e. g. like e. g.

Putting in autocapitisation simply shifts the responsibility from the
typist to the copy-editor. Better to do it right from the start than
to rely on some programmatic scheme that will not deal real
situations.

> >  5. bold, color background on outline. A way for the eyes to fixate
> >> landmarks
> >> in long outlines.
> >>

> > I'm not sure what you mean here.
> >
> > say section is bold, subsection is not. Or colored backgrounds (level1 is
> darker, level 6 is lighter... etc).
> I'd love to assign colors to sections to be able to track them visually.

As someone with Meares-Irlan syndrome I see horrid cognitive effects
from such a feature.

> >  7. the rest of the world operates on rich text/html. LyX doesn't (clipboard
> >> integration is poor, copy-pasting from/to web loses formatting)

Actually most of the world operates on .doc format that doesn't make it right.

> > I'm not sure which rest of the world you have in mind, but I agree that
> > LyX's external clipboard handling could be improved. We generally use
> > plaintext for this, because no-one has cared enough to change it since it
> > was implemented eons ago.
> >

> say copy-paste from browsers. keeping basic formatting (headings, bold)
> would be good., but I bet this is non-trivial. Running some html parser on
> clipboard contents, then convert html to lyx... then paste.

I don't do that in LyX but I've seen OpenOffice.org make a real hash
of pasting HTMLised text on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.

> > > 8. 'pasted from' and url for every paste from the web (onenote uses this
> > > and it's damn inspired)

Must be the only good featrure of OneNote then.

> > Don't understand this either.
> >

> Imagine you want to keep a snippet you found online. you copy it. when
> pasting it in lyx, it will add a little note with the url it came from, and
> the time it was collected. This is a killer feature for
> notetaking/research.

Um, you do your notetaking/research direct into LyX? Scrivener or
Journlr are a better tools for this task and allow the export of
entries to LaTeX for processing with LyX.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!