In LyX memoir class, 2-sided, single column, how can I place figures so that
their outer edges line up with the outer edge of a wide (outer margin)? With
figures 1.2cm from the edge of the page, they then visually define the wide
outer margin. I want the captions (without caption numbers printed) placed
on the inside of the figures or, for wide figures, in the wide margin under
the figure.

I tried inserting the figure in a float, which then floats to the top of a
page, as desired. However the figure caption appears always on the left and
is justified to the left margin of the text, irrespective of whether the
page is recto or verso. The figure just gets pushed right in response to the
length of the caption. I need the caption on the “inside”, whether that is
left or right. If the caption is below the figure, the figure can be left or
right justified, but only to the text – not to the outer margin. How do I
get justification of the figure to the outer margin – not to the text?

Whether I set this up in LyX, in the LaTeX preamble or in TeX code, I feel
that it should be straightforward and probably a common layout; but I cannot
find the right documentation.

Cheers, George (Legge)