On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Uwe Stöhr <uwesto...@web.de> wrote:

> Am 29.05.2010 01:04, schrieb george legge:
>

>  But it does not appear to tackle the major problem, which is:
>> How to get figures (of all widths) to justify to a boundary several cm
>> outside the text edge.
>>

> Use a wrapped float. Its option "Overhang" is exactly what you need.
> Attached is a LyX example file.
> For more infos about wrapped floats have a look at sec. 3.2.2 "Wrap Floats"
> of the EmbeddedObjects manual that you find in LyX#s Help menu.
>
> regards Uwe

Thank you Uwe. "Overhang" is exactly what I need.
However, I do not want wrapping, and "overhang" seems to be offered only by
Wrap Float.
I don't think a plain Figure Float recognizes "overhang".
Is there an easy way to insert an "overhang" command into a Figure Float?

Alternatively can I turn off wrapping in a Wrap Float?

I still wish to insert a caption into the space created by the overhang.
I could force the overhang just by letting the caption push the figure
across, thereby creating an overhang,
though I need to do that with the caption always on the inner side.
However getting exactly the same overhang every time would be messy that
way.

Basically, I wish to get all my figures to float to the tops of pages, flush
to the outside and overhang text by a set distance,
thus visually defining a marginal column. Your "overhang" almost does it.

Cheers, George