Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> writes:

>    Both source .tex and .log are attached.
>
>    While the newest hyperref package does not include all the files of the
> earlier versions and throws a warning, the error that halts compilation of
> the file is \makebeamertitle.

That's where it halts, but not the problem.  The problem seems to be
\thispdfpagelabel is an undefined control sequence.  It's supposed to be defined
in hyperref (I think).

> > You mentioned something about hyperref not having a .sty or .cfg file??
> > Have you tried reinstalling/upgrading hyperref?
>
>    After seeing complaints in an earlier log file about hyperref I downloaded
> and installed the latest version from CTAN. There are no .sty or .cfg files
> for hyperref in the latest release.

Well, your log indicates it seems to be loading hyperref (and, in particular,
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/hyperref/hyperref.sty), version 6.74m, from 2003.
The config file (also found) has a 2002 version date.  That's not the latest
version, so maybe you're not using what you installed -- or, worse yet, you've
got a hybrid of old and new versions??

Your log shows hyperref loading a little earlier than mine does, but what loads
before it in mine and after it in yours looks pretty harmless to me.  The one
other major discrepancy between our logs is that yours indicates some ConTeXT
macros are loading where mine does not:

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.tex
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mis.tex

Dunno if that would muck things up.  I think I'd try straightening out the
questions about hyperref first.  The latest release comes as .ins and .dtx
files, although there's supposed to be a .zip version somewhere or other.  If
you grabbed the .dtx and .ins files, did you run 'tex hyperref.ins' to generate
the .sty file(s), and then distribute stuff around your TDS tree?  (And did you
texhash it?)

Nag, nag, nag ...  :-)

/Paul