On Saturday 31 July 2010 22:10:14 Rob Oakes wrote:
> Hi Anders,
>
> I've had good success first converting to HTML, then running a filter on
>  the HTML, and then importing to LyX.  The overall process is described
>  here:
>
> http://blog.oak-tree.us/index.php/2010/05/14/msword-lyx-import
>
> While some formatting is lost, it's mostly the type of formatting that I
>  don't really care about (finger painted headings, etc.). Even better, the
>  process can be automated (also described in the article) using a fairly
>  simply python script.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob

Hi Rob,

I've tried similar stuff in the past, but unfortunately when I imported MSWord
docs into OpenOffice, all my styles got converted to their equivalent
character and paragraph attributes, so the whole OO doc has no styles, or
maybe just heading hierarchy styles -- I don't remember.

So for instance, every book I write in any authoring environment, I always
have a "story" paragraph style. It's usually italics and bigger margins (less
text per page). OO just writes my text with "story"  applied as body text with
bigger margins and italics. That's absolutely useless to me -- no way I'm
gonna go back through a 200 page book and try to find all the stories, tips,
warnings and the like.

I notice that your conversion isn't done by OO itself, but by ConvertDoc. Does
ConvertDoc pass through paragraph and character styles? If so, this is VERY
useful. Note that I don't even care if it translates the style defs -- I can
just make a layout. What I want is a final doc with the styles applied, and a
list of all the character and paragraph styles so I can put em all in the
layout.

Does ConvertDoc do that?

Thanks

SteveT