On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Uwe Stöhr <uwesto...@web.de> wrote:

> Am 18.08.2010 01:40, schrieb stefano franchi:
>
>  can anyone help me o track down  the error given by the following
>> footnote (transcribed in Latex-version from source window):
>>
>> \footnote{The \emph{epagoghé eis to adunaton}, celebrated by the Eleatic
>> school
>>
>> which gives a pdf output of:
>>
>> 1. The epagogh[Pleaseinsertintopreamble] eis to adunaton, celebrated by
>> the Eleatic school
>>

> I'll have a look if you send a _small_ LyX example file.
>
> regards Uwe

Ok, the file is enclosed, thanks Uwe.
The problem, I discovered, is somewhere with the additional latex code that
produces endnotes in memoir (without using external packages). In my case
the code resides in the memoir configuration package I wrote, but I lifted
it out and moved it to the preamble of the test document. It is a unicode
encoding problem, I believe, possibly having to do with the ucs package
called up by utf8x.  Inserting the \PrerenderUnicode with the accented e in
the preamble fixes the proble. Although it may cause other problems down the
line (with Latex, you never know).
So, I now have a fix that may break other things. I certainly would like to
understand better what's going on.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy           Ph:   (1) 979 862-2211
Texas A&M University                 Fax: (1) 979 845-0458
College Station, Texas, USA