Thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunately, no, that doesn't seem to help. My LyX file is in a
different place. But moving it back to the Applications folder didn't
help. Nor did customizing the path (I didn't do these two things
simultaneously :) ).
I wonder if my pdfsync package could be out of date. I tried to update
everything last night (TeX installation, LyX, Skim), but I'm not sure how
to check if  pdfsync is uptodate or not. (of course, I coudln't get
synctex to work either).