2010/9/25 Wolfgang Keller <felip...@gmx.net>:
> Hello,
>
>> A decent latex editor built on top of google docs.
>
> "Decent" and "Google apps" are mutually exclusive.
>
> Google apps is just yet another proof how ridiculously unusable _all_ "web
> apps" are for getting actual work done efficiently. And all that with
> ridiculously high development effort and equally ridiculous run-time
> ressource requirements.
>
>> Thoughts?
>
> "Online" collaboration is a totally useless gadget exclusively favored by
> freaks who don't do actual work with the application.

Kent Beck once told of how a certain type of web form had been shown
by A/B testing[1] to get a lot more registered users, to which a
developer said "Oh those web forms suck, I'd never make those". Beck
replies: "What business are you in? I'd like to compete with you..."
-- what users actually do and what developers imagine they would do is
often quite different ;-)

My girlfriend is finishing up a six-year clinical psychology program,
and she and most of her fellow students are using Google Docs on their
final theses (not for the print version, but when collaborating on
individual chapters). I have carefully tried to argue for version
control and real editors over Google Docs, but why should they bother
with solving merge conflicts when they could be getting some actual
writing done...

Of course, if the intended audience of LyX is people who already are
familiar with version control, there is probably no reason to look at
what non-programmers do.

best regards,
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/B_Testing