Hi,
I think Greg's post is key here.
Even if the two users are never editing at the same time, having always the
latest version with all merges applied is reassuring.

@Rob: "Yet, I've never actually met anyone who writes with others in real
time." I think this is because the tech didn't even exist a year ago. Any
tech takes a while to get adopted. Most people don't even know it exists,
and the ones who do don't know why they need it. Plus, leaving the tech
aside, I can imagine there's a mental change when writing this way.

I'm using abiword to collaborate on a paper. Will report how things went
after a few days.
Btw, the latex on gDocs thing is way too beta to be usable. It lost edits,
crashed, etc. It's just a pity that abiword is so limited in other features
(search, adding references, etc), but it looks really promising.

Best,
-Jose

Jose Quesada, PhD.
Research scientist,
Max Planck Institute,
Center for Adaptive Behavior and Cognition,
Berlin
http://www.josequesada.name/
http://twitter.com/Quesada