Thanks for your replies Pavel and Uwe.

Ok, it turns out here is my problem: I was using "dbg=all", but this trace
level
doesn't exist.  The one I was after was "any"!  I realise others may be more
appropriate, but it doesn't take that long on my computer to start with "any"
and if you can nail down roughly when the problem happens it doesn't hurt too
much to have the extra messages.

> > By the way, why _is_ there still a  LyxLauncher.exe?  I thought that
> > lyx.exe
>was
> > being compiled as a  native GUI application (annoying for this situation,
but
> > useful in  general)?  Is it because I've used the alternative installer?
>
> Having  the possibility to see a debug window is useful, especially for a
> test
>release  like a beta. I try to compile the final LyX 2.0 as native GUI
>application.

It's a pity we can't do both/ choose at run time.  I'm glad we have Pavel's
suggested method works for most cases (I can't believe I missed that!),
although
obviously it's no good for SIGSEGV.  Perhaps if it had the option to write to a
file, it would do.

Jim