Hi all,

I just spellchecked a 108,000 word book (371 pages), so I have an immediate
familiarity with the task under LyX. Here are some of my findings:

1) At least as relates to storing new words in the personal dictionary, my LyX
1.6.4 ignores the personal dictionary at Tools->Settings->Spellchecker-
>Personal_dictionary.

2) I set it, removed it, and then it came back. Ugh!

3) Checking "Accept Compound Words" appeared to do nothing, although I don't
know what it's supposed to do.

4) Spellchecker always flags plurals of words ending in s, such as "peoples'
problems" or "all the buildings' furnaces" -- anything ending in an
aposterphe. However, when you send that word to the personal dictionary, it
doesn't go in.

5) When you change something at Tools->Settings->Spellchecker-
>Personal_dictionary, it's hard to say what needs to be done in order that it
take effect. It thus presents as an intermittent. Detailed documentation is
needed.

6) YMMV, but I could get only aspell to work with LyX -- ispell and hspell
errored out.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt