On 12/11/2010 08:42 PM, Alan McIntyre wrote:

Hmmm... that's strange. I've been using Nitro PDF Professional and that won't
allow searching or cut'n'paste. But in response to your comment, I've just
installed Acrobat X and that does! However, someone else on this thread has
confirmed that the fonts in the document sre indeed bitmaps?

I'm more confused now than I started :-(

Just because the fonts are bitmaps doesn't mean the document is not searchable. It means it will look ugly though :)

As another poster mentioned, it seems LyX uses bitmaps by default. So choosing "Latin Modern Roman", "Latim Modern Sans" and "Latin Modern Typewriter" as fonts for you document should fix it.