On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Venable <venabl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This (bitmap as default) has always been puzzling to me. Even though
> it's a small thing to correct, I've seen it be a barrier to adoption
> by the less-technically-inclined. It seems like making a scalable font
> the default would go a long way to making LyX "just work" out of the
> box.
>
> Of course, there is probably another side to the story.

There is. Although I feel the same way as you do about the issue,
there are several important reasons why (some) LaTeX defaults are left
unchanged. See this discussion [1] (it's very long).

The prevailing idea is that defaults are defaults, and unhappy users
should choose better. From the devel's perspective the better solution
is good documentation and good introductions.

Regards
Liviu

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg77578.html