On 14/07/2011 7:37 AM, Matthias Hunstig wrote:
Hello Richard,

thanks for the answer. I do not think it is a Unicode problem because I generate the
bibtex file from Zotero using IS0-8859-15 which has worked before.. Also, all author
names appear fine in the bibliography itself. Even those with special characters such as
"ï".

Any other ideas?

Matthias

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Heck [mailto:rgh...@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:40 PM
To: Matthias Hunstig
Cc: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Subject: Re: use of \citet (with natbib numeric) gives "(author?)" error

On 07/13/2011 05:58 AM, Matthias Hunstig wrote:
Hello,

I am using LyX 2.0 and just switched the citation style to Natbib (numeric)
because I want to use \citet from time to time.

However, whenever I use \citet, a bold *(author?)* appears in the PDF
instead of the author name. The source code looks fine to me, for
example: \citet[p.~223]{watson_2009}

Any idea what causes this?

This kind of thing is usually due to problems with the .bib file, and the
problem is usually the presence of Unicode characters gotten from pasting a
reference from the web or something. If you use bibtex for the processor,
then the file really needs to be ASCII; if you use bibtex8, you can get away
with 8-bit encodings; but Unicode needs special treatment and is not
presently recommended.

Richard

You also need to use a natbib-compatible bibliography style. You select this by clicking on your "BibTeX Generated Bibliography" in your LyX document and selecting e.g. plainnat

--
Julien