On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 11:09 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:

>>> I thought so too, but with my LyX 2.0.0 April 29, 2011, I inserted
>>> title_big.jpg specifying the .jpg, and the LaTeX it generated with lyx
>>> --export latex had just title_big with no extension. I was as
>>> surprised as you are.
>>
>> I just checked with 1.6.7 - indeed the extension is gone.
>> I thought it was kept some time (maybe years) ago.
>>
>> IMV it's worth a feature request as
>>
>> * there are cases where the author is smarter than her/his computer,
>> * it is easy to get the automatic selection by just leaving off the
>> extension.
>
> How does LyX know which image to use in this case? Suppose you have file.jpg
> and file.gif and file.eps, all in the same directory.
>
> As I said, this can already be done with InsetExternal. There's no need to
> complicate the graphics code for such a rare case.

This doesn't seem to be a unique (or odd) request.

Some time ago there we discussed another usecase on the list [1]:
according to the poster, to submit a LyX-exported LaTeX file to
Elsevier Electronic System (EES), one needs to manually edit the LaTeX
file and add the extension .pdf for all \includegraphics calls. From
this point of view, it does look like a bug.

Regards
Liviu

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg88475.html