On 01/05/2012 05:17 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:

On 05/01/12 10:58, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Le 05/01/2012 09:40, Olivier Ripoll a écrit :
On 05.01.2012 05:16, Jerry wrote:
Do the developers monitor this list? Or does someone need to
file a bug report for the slow scrolling problem?

Jerry
Yes, they are looking at it. If you look at the thread, you'll
see several names of LyX developers (not exhautively: Pavel
Sanda, Richard Heck, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes, André Pönitz)
The problem is that we have yet to pinpoint the root cause. I see
two major points:

- we have experimental code that seems to improve the situation on
linux. We'll probably learn more once it is deployed to many
people. I am not sure there are plans to port to branch yet. This
may be useful for cases where different people see different
speeds.

- there is a part of the code that we know should be rewritten: to
compute metrics (size of words), we work at glyph level, while
painting is done at word level. This is what creates display
problems with OS X when the is kerning/ligatures effects. The
"paint single char" pref that has been discussed makes everything
work at glyph level, which is correct but slow. What we need is to
do all at word level (except for RtL text, which is a different
story). Unfortunately, this part of code is a can of worm and
nobody dares touching it.
If I look at the number of emails flying around on this issue, one
should look at options how this can be fixed. I must admit I do not
know the inner workings of LyX, so I might be completely off.

I nobody dares to touch this code (I would guess because of time
requirements once one starts fixing it), one could try to raise funds
to pay somebody (preferably somebody who knows LyX's inner workings)
to address this issue - it seems to be on many peoples mind.
I think it's more of an issue of pure fear. That code is extremely complicated, and it would be very easy to mess things up worse instead of fixing them. So, speaking as branch maintainer, that kind of re-write definitely isn't happening in the 2.0.x series.

Richard