On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Bill Foote <bi...@jovial.com> wrote:
> Is there an easy way for me to get rid of the "You cannot ... Please read the
> tutorial" message?  I know that typing two spaces that way doesn't change the
> layout, and I'm more-or-less fine with LyX auto-deleting the space.  I'm
> completely fine with TeX not changing the formatting based on "extra" spaces.
> With all that said, I'd prefer that LyX stop nagging.  I know already!

Start ignoring it. :) This is what I did. Besides, it's a good idea to
always show it, so as to quickly and clearly explain new users what
happens and why. LyX cannot know whether the user typing _knows_ it
already or not.

> I'm not going to adjust my typing style, because most of the time when I type,
> putting two spaces after a period or some other punctuation is the right thing
> to do.

Likely TeX/LaTeX would disagree.

> Also, I learned to type on a manual typewriter in the mid-70's when I
> was in 4th grade; that muscle memory ain't going away any time soon :-)
>
> I know I could hack the code myself,

I would be surprised. TeX simply ignores multiple spaces. If you want
to change this, you may need to look into hacking the TeX engine
itself (assuming you export to LaTeX). You could go the way of very
ugly hacks such as adding a protected space to each normal space, but
again this seems like a very bad idea. See [1] for some discussion of
this point.

Liviu

[1] http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/7158

--