On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Bill Foote <bi...@jovial.com> wrote:
> > Is there an easy way for me to get rid of the "You cannot ... Please
> read the
> > tutorial" message?  I know that typing two spaces that way doesn't
> change the
> > layout, and I'm more-or-less fine with LyX auto-deleting the space.  I'm
> > completely fine with TeX not changing the formatting based on "extra"
> spaces.
> > With all that said, I'd prefer that LyX stop nagging.  I know already!
> >
> Start ignoring it. :)

If you're an iPad or iPhone user like me it's hard to ignore such a message
because in the iOS environment hitting double space is a natural and useful
thing ... it inserts a fullstop and inter-sentence spacing so one's eye
gaze is on the screen checking that the correct thing has happened or
because one is a touch typist and that's where you look too.

> This is what I did. Besides, it's a good idea to
> always show it, so as to quickly and clearly explain new users what
> happens and why. LyX cannot know whether the user typing _knows_ it
> already or not.

Except that I for one and I guess Bill for his need to comment are not new
users of LyX. We don't need that sort of "nanny state" warning. Indeed if
the key sequence has no meaning in LyX then I'd argue that there is
absolutely no need for a message at all. Just have it drop the second space
quietly and move on.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!