On 08/06/2012 12:01 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

I recommend to
check out the csquotes LaTeX package. This is not natively supported
by LyX but provides dynamic quotation marks.
I've skimmed the manual. Will take a closer look before I dump my next document
in lyx. I need a solution. Strange to me that lyx is inflexible in this way.

There's nothing unusual about LyX here. If I take this
    this is "a quote"
and paste it into LibreOffice, I get exactly that, despite the fact that typing a double quote there gives me an open or close quote, depending upon context. This is really correct behavior. LyX should not (and does not) prohibit you from entering the double quote character, if that is what you want to do. As well you might if you were entering lengths, say.

Richard