Thanks to Stefano and Rainer

> Now this is strange: tlmgr is, as
far as I kow, of part of the official texlive > installation in

Ubuntu. Are you sure you did not install from the texlive installer?

Err yes, that is what I did. I
manually installed tlmgr for 2011 a while ago based onStefano's
advice.
But according to synaptics and the
software centre it is TexLive 2012.  I just cannot find it.
Would I be wiser to uninstall Lyx and
Tex Live and start all over again?  I have no problem doing that.

Various results:
john@john-K53U:~$ which latex
/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/latex

john@john-K53U:~$ latex --version
pdfTeX 3.1415926-2.3-1.40.12 (TeX Live
2011)
Both synaptics and the Software
Installer seem to think that I have Texlive
2012.20120611-3~ubuntu12.04.1 installed.
There is a /usr/local/texlive/2012
folder which is empty. I believe I create it earlier in trying to
update TeXLive in a earler effort.
john@john-K53U:~$ find /  -path
'/proc' -prune -perm /u=x,g=x,a=x ! -type d -name latex
find: `/tmp/.esd-104': Permission
denied
find: `/tmp/pulse-2L9K88eMlGn7':
Permission denied
find: `/tmp/pulse-PKdhtXMmr18n':
Permission denied
find: `/etc/ppp/peers': Permission
denied
find: `/etc/chatscripts': Permission
denied
find: `/etc/cups/ssl': Permission
denied
find: `/etc/ssl/private': Permission
denied
find: `/lost+found': Permission
denied
find: `/var/spool/cron/atjobs':
Permission denied
find: `/var/spool/cron/crontabs':
Permission denied
find: `/var/spool/cron/atspool':
Permission denied
find: `/var/spool/cups': Permission
denied
find: `/var/cache/lightdm/dmrc':
Permission denied
find: `/var/cache/ldconfig':
Permission denied
find: `/var/log/speech-dispatcher':
Permission denied
find: `/var/lib/sudo': Permission
denied
find: `/var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main':
Permission denied
find: `/var/lib/polkit-1': Permission
denied
find: `/var/lib/lightdm': Permission
denied
find: `/run/wpa_supplicant':
Permission denied
find: `/run/udisks': Permission
denied
find: `/run/lightdm': Permission
denied
find: `/run/cups/certs': Permission
denied
find: `/root': Permission denied
find: `/sys/kernel/debug': Permission
denied
Which seems to tell me nothing. But what do I know?

Both synaptics and the Software
Installer report that I have Texlive
2012.20120611-3~ubuntu12.04.1 installed.

BTW I have run tlmgr with and without sudo and get:
john@john-K53U:~$ sudo tlmgr install
leadpar
[sudo] password for john:
sudo: tlmgr: command not found