John Kane <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca> writes:

> Please but in. I am a newbie with Ubuntu and tend to blunder around.
> Basically I have a dual boot Ubutu /Window 7. Some time ago I upgraded from
> 11.? to 12.04 with apparently no problem.
>
> I have no real idea of what is correct or not-- I lack the partly intuitive
> feel that I had for Windws after years of battling so I easily miss what is
> or is not what one would expect and I am still a bit uncomfortable with the
> terminal interface since the commands are not obvious to me. I have not used
> a command line os since DOS about 2 decaded ago.

Hi John,
I have helped a number of newbies with Ubuntu, and I have found that it
is nearly always a mistake for them to try to install something 'by
hand'. Always use the Ubuntu Software Center or Synaptic and you will
never come to grief.

It is a common problem because of the way that Windows users are
accustomed to installing software.

There are safe ways to do 'by hand' installation of software, but you
seldom need to do that with Ubuntu.

Cheers,
Alan

--