On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Bob Merhebi <bobmerh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm joining you guys regarding writing Arabic in LyX. I know Arabic &
> some LyX so I guess I can help.
>
> So far I have not used Arabic in LyX.
>
> On 02/12/2013 10:09 PM, stefano franchi wrote:
> > I have no knowledge of Arabic, unfortunately, but following the
> > instructions on the wiki seems to work for me, including right-to-left
> > typing:
>
> Right-to-Left is not enough; Arabic is a complex language which requires
> connecting letters and glyph formation. Here's an example from Scribus
> which has been open for a long time & still not resolved (not sure why):
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1079

Cannot help here. I'm aware of the complexities of Arabic script, but I
have no means to check if lyx (or, rather, Tex) gets it right. Sorry.

> > http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Arabic
> > It requires:
> >
> > 1. Setting the document class to Article(Arabic)
>
> Doesn't exist in my installation:
>
> LyX 2.0.5.1 (2012-11-03)
> Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (x86_64)
>
> It appears to be part of the package: texlive-langextra
> which doesn't seem to be in Ubuntu
>
> Running "apt-cache search texlive" results in finding:
>
> texlive-lang-arabic - TeX Live: Arabic

This is a problem with Ubuntu (and Mint, which is Ubuntu based). In fact it
is a problem with all Debian-based distros, as far as I know. The problem
is that their packaged version of tex are:

(1) Broken up in several packages, and the user often does not know which
are required ofr the task at hand

(2) Often well behind officially distributed versions. (When I stopped
using Ubuntu it was 2 years behind.)

My, very personal, recommendation is to stop using the Ubuntu-packaged
version of tex and install manually Texlive instead. It used to be a
complicated to manage your own Tex installation. Now that Texlive comes
with its own distribution manager (called tlmgr --- tex live manager), it
is much simpler
However, I do understand that other users may have different preferences,

> Installing it didn't change anything in LyX. Still no Article[Arabic]!

Every time you install a new latex package you need to reconfigure Lyx and
restart it. Otherwise Lyx cannot use the newly installed package.

> I guess we need ArabTex:
> http://www2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/ivi/bs/research/arab_e.htm
>

> In this I need help; I prefer to use Ubuntu's repositories unless it is
> not possible at all.

Arabtex should be in the package you installed:
texlive-lang-arab<http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/texlive-lang-arab>
.Otherwise, you can install it from CTAN:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/arabtex

(Or with the tex manager I mentioned above if you switch to your own
texlive installation).

If you install it  manually, remember that you must run texhash as a
superuser afterwards. That is, you must open a terminal window and type the
command
sudo texhash

> Try looking for a file called arabart.cls and see if you can find it in
> your system.
> Which platform are you on? Linux, Mac, Windows? Instructions for the
> installation of missing packages vary  depending on the platform.

Not sure what parastoo is using as his system but mine is as stated above.

His system is Linux Mint, which is similar to Ubuntu. Hence he has the same
problem as your.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org