On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Bob Merhebi <bobmerh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu 14 Feb 2013 05:53:30 AM EET, Parastoo Mojabi wrote:
> > Thank you so much Stefano, mine is working
> >
> Stefano: Can't these settings be integrated into a single-button LyX
> option?

Well, there seem to be two separate issues:

1. Having a linux/Tex installation that includes proper support for Arabic
editing

2. Configuring Lyx properly to take advantage of the properly set up Tex
system.

I don't think (1) can be automated by Lyx/Linux. Lyx expect a properly
configured system and it does not have the means to automatically install
missing packages (as MikTeX does on Windows).

As for (2), have you tried saving a template with all the proper settings?
That is, once you have a document that works in Lyx the way you want it,
delete all the text and save it as a template. From that moment on you can
choose "New from template" when starting a new Arabic document.

I am not sure all the settings would be saved though. Others may know more
about this.

> I'll look more about tlmgr to see how it interacts with the Ubuntu
> system, if at all. I guess it is similar to Python's easy_install. If
> you've got some references about it (related to Debian/Ubuntu), kindly
> let me know.

As Gunter reports in his message, Ubuntu seems to have solved its problems
with Texlive.

So I guess the apt-file tool is all you need.

> Moreover, do you guys mind if I made a blog post about this?

Surely not. I would also suggest checking the lyx wiki page for Arabic and
updating if it does not reflect your experience.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org