On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Csikos Bela <bcsikos...@freemail.hu> wrote:

> If ribbon menus is what Windows has in their menus, that is only the first
> few items are shown and then you have to click an arrow to make other
> menu items visible,

That used to be what ribbon menus were all about, hence the name.
They no longer have the "ribbon-like" functionality now, but the name has
apparently stuck. No wonder you are confused, so is everyone else not
working on Windows. Here is a link to a Microsoft Word screen shot showing
the ribbon:

http://techhelpvideos.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/word-2007_2003-menus.jpg

You'll find a gazillion more on Google Images
In my experience, most people not working on Microsoft Office on a daily
basis (Mac versions have ribbons too) find them confusing.  I would
certainly not impose them on Linux/non-Office users.

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org