----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Litt" <sl...@troubleshooters.com>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 7:38 PM
Subject: Re: feature request: ribbon menus

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 14:31:07 +0200 (CEST)
Csikos Bela <bcsikos...@freemail.hu> wrote:

Alex Vergara Gil <a...@cphr.edu.cu> írta:

>Hello developers!
>
>I have a feature request if this is not already >
>requested to you: Ribbon Menus.>

I don't know what ribbon menus is, and I may not be the only one.
You should have explained it, attached an image, or given a link
where it is explained.

The way I see it, if LyX developers were to have enough time to put in
this UI eye candy, that time would be much better spent, for instance,
finishing the job of making LyX a full outliner that can add, delete,
change and move nodes. Or something else necessary or highly desirable
for someone who actually uses it to create large volumes of content.

Next thing you know, somebody will ask for an io/s looking interface to
match his iPhone.

SteveT

Changes in UI like this one takes to anyone just 1 day, it is just a matter of decide to make it or not, however the changes you mentioned take a lot of coding and a lot of man-hour work, so the time scale is not comparable.

On the other hand ribbon menus once you get use to them you find your productivity increasing, actually LyX has something that is like this: "The math toolbar", which groups several common operators in just one menu and have several menus grouped by functionality. If the ribbon appearance is problematic then you can create something like the math toolbar for every toolbar and put them in just one toolbar. I see people here who argue with this because they would not have everything in front of their eyes, really!! then why don´t you complain of not having every single option visible in toolbars? What I beg is an UI organization grouping icons by functionality, so the resulting toolbar (or ribbon menu) should be smaller and highly configurable. Come on people, not only M$ do this, even Apple and there are some linux programs that are using a similar approach right now. Static toolbars are obsolete in terms of modern GUIs. This request is not for beautyness but for increasing productivity.

As I said this is my personal opinion so I migth be wrong, but I haven´t received any useful opinion (besides M$ patent) of why not doing such a thing just a few user complaining they will affect some how what they feel is comfortable. Regarding the patent believe me that if they patent 0s and 1s then we are definitively lost.:)

Alex