I am unable to insert PDF image files into LyX 2.0.6 on OS X 10.8.5. When I try
to do this, in the area where the graphic would be displayed, I first see the
message "Converting to loadable format" and then "Error converting to loadable
format." The name of the file is then displayed but not the image.

I am trying this in a new LyX document. The graphic is a simple plot saved from
Mathematica in several file formats. Of those other formats, I am able to
successfully insert bmp, eps, gif, jpg, png and tiff. (svg displays incorrectly
in LyX as a black rectangle even though it is displayed correctly in other
viewers.)

I thought PDF was a "native" format for LyX, so I don't understand why it is
trying to convert the PDF file into anything. Have I set a preference to
something stupid?

Jerry