On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2013, at 11:20 PM, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 1:00 AM, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
>>> I am unable to insert PDF image files into LyX 2.0.6 on OS X 10.8.5. When I
>>> try to do this, in the area where the graphic would be displayed, I first
>>> see the message "Converting to loadable format" and then "Error converting
>>> to loadable format." The name of the file is then displayed but not the
>>> image.
>>>
>>> I am trying this in a new LyX document. The graphic is a simple plot saved
>>> from Mathematica in several file formats. Of those other formats, I am able
>>> to successfully insert bmp, eps, gif, jpg, png and tiff. (svg displays
>>> incorrectly in LyX as a black rectangle even though it is displayed
>>> correctly in other viewers.)
>>>
>>> I thought PDF was a "native" format for LyX, so I don't understand why it
>>> is trying to convert the PDF file into anything. Have I set a preference to
>>> something stupid?
>>>
>>> Jerry
>>
>> Hi Jerry,
>>
>> I believe that LyX converts PDFs to EPS files. To see the command that
>> is being run, go to Tools > Preferences > File Handling > Converters
>> and select "PDF (graphics) -> EPS"
>> For me the command is:
>> pdftops -eps -f 1 -l 1 $$i $$o
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Scott
>
> Thanks, Scott. I have an item in the Converters list called PDF (ps2pdf) ->
> EPS which is probably the equivalent. In any case, the Converter command is
> pdftops -eps -f 1 -l 1 $$i $$o, the same as yours.

OK then you might want to try running the command manually on the pdf
file. For example, you could run:
pdftops -eps -f 1 -l 1 myfile.pdf myfile.eps

To get more information on what LyX is doing in the background, you
could do the following:
lyx -dbg graphics

I forget how you're supposed to run the command from the terminal in a
Mac. I remember JMarc said something like you have to specify the full
path. Hopefully you know.

> P.S. Did you see Murat's comment in this thread?

Yes. What I'm telling you is just a guess so if something I say
contradicts what he says, try both :)

Best,

Scott