On Dec 3, 2013, at 12:41 AM, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:

>>> Hi Jerry,
>>>
>>> I believe that LyX converts PDFs to EPS files. To see the command that
>>> is being run, go to Tools > Preferences > File Handling > Converters
>>> and select "PDF (graphics) -> EPS"
>>> For me the command is:
>>> pdftops -eps -f 1 -l 1 $$i $$o
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Scott
>>
>> Thanks, Scott. I have an item in the Converters list called PDF (ps2pdf) ->
>> EPS which is probably the equivalent. In any case, the Converter command is
>> pdftops -eps -f 1 -l 1 $$i $$o, the same as yours.
>
> OK then you might want to try running the command manually on the pdf
> file. For example, you could run:
> pdftops -eps -f 1 -l 1 myfile.pdf myfile.eps
>
> To get more information on what LyX is doing in the background, you
> could do the following:
> lyx -dbg graphics
>
> I forget how you're supposed to run the command from the terminal in a
> Mac. I remember JMarc said something like you have to specify the full
> path. Hopefully you know.

I ran the command that you suggested and a new EPS file was created without any
error code reported. I examined it in a text editor and it at least
superficially looks like a valid EPS file. However, when I then try to insert
it into my document, I get the "Error converting to loadable format" message in
place of the image. (I don't notice the intermediate message saying that it is
"Converting to a loadable format".)

When I attempt to open the EPS which was originally exported by Mathematica
(see my original post) with Apple's Preview.app, it succeeds (by itself
converting the EPS to PDF). However, when I attempt to open the new EPS made by
the above command in Preview, it fails and reports "Warning PostScript error:
No PDF was produced," and there is in fact no image displayed in Preview.

It looks like pdftops is giving me a bad result. What package

FWIW, the original EPS which was exported from Mathematica (and which displays
correctly in LyX) is 408 KB and the new one created by the pdftops command
above is only 188 KB. I don't necessarily find this worrisome but I thought I
would mention it.

Jerry