On Dec 4, 2013, at 7:45 AM, Murat Yildizoglu <murat.yildizo...@u-bordeaux4.fr>
wrote:

> Thanks Jens and Jerry, I was not aware of this program (sips) and it
> generates nice bitmaps indeed, and quite quickly in comparison with the
> gs+convert solution that was rather slow on my macbook air.
>
> The version I use is the following (adapted for the 128dpi display of my MBA):
>
> sips  -s dpiHeight 128.0 -s dpiWidth 128.0 --resampleWidth 600 --setProperty
> format png $$i --out $$o

I don't see what the effect of dpiHeight and dpiWidth is. I tried several
different values and saw no change in the rendered graphic.

FWIW, this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density
can help you to easily find the pixels per inch or centimeter of your display.
My MacBook Pro is 110 dpi. Of course you could do Apple Menu -> About This Mac
and do the math yourself.

Jerry

P.S. I also tried to edit the wiki the found the given password didn't work.