Am 28.12.2013 um 16:52 schrieb justin <justina...@yahoo.com>:

> Stephan Witt <st.witt <at> gmx.net> writes:
>

>> Am 28.12.2013 um 14:08 schrieb justin <justinasia <at> yahoo.com>:
>>
>>> Hi everyone
>>> I am working my way through the lyx tutorial. It teaches how to change the
>>> layout. I can make it 'article', and 'book', baOn Saturday, December 28,
> 2013 2:36 PM, Stephan Witt <st.w...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 28.12.2013 um 14:08 schrieb justin <justina...@yahoo.com>:
>
>> Are you talking about document classes or layouts?
>> The available document classes like article (AMS) are bundled with the
> official
>> LyX package. What's your problem exactly?
>
> Hi Stephan, sorry to confuse! I was trying to change the document class. I
> followed the instructions, went to Document, then Settings, then chose one
> of them and click on Apply. It works for Article and Book but not the others
> I try. For example when I try Article (ACS), it gives the message "Layout
> Not Found". It says that 4 times, under the Errors section, and under the
> Description section it says:
>
> "Layout `Verse' was not found."
>
> I am up to 3.1 in the Tutorial, and that is where it instructed me to try
> changing the Document Class. I have followed all of the instructions so far,
> so I do not know what to do now since this seems to not be working.

That's normal. Not every document class has the same "components" aka layouts.
So, the Tutorial cannot be converted to all document classes without errors.
In real life you'll start with a document class you like or you were requested
to do so by others.

>> Protected Space is Option-Space. In general the keys Command and Control are
>> swapped - so, the documentation may be wrong here. Were did you read it?
>
> Ctrl+Return I read in 2.2.2 section of Tutorial.lyx which comes with the
> programme. In the same section it mentions Protected Spaces, but does not
> instruct how to use them. So I searched the internet and found this:
> http://www.fnal.gov/docs/products/lyx/Tutorial.tex.html
>
> It is a similar document, and actually in section 2.2.2 does instruct how to
> do Protected Spaces. It says "Protected Spaces, which are made by typing
> C-Space".

Ok. It's difficult to provide information like this consistently for all
platforms.
On a Mac you're using Command-o for "File open" and it's Control-o on Linux
boxes.
You may have a look at Help > Shortcuts. But the list of shortcuts there is not
complete.

LyX has a mechanism to describe shortcuts as they're defined for the given
platform.
But the author of the tutorial has to use it to give the reader the correct
infos.
This is not the case for your examples, unfortunately. Sorry.

Regards,
Stephan