On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Wolfgang Engelmann <
engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

>  On Saturday 11 January 2014 11:25:43 Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
>

> I wonder whether my and Kim's difficulties with biber has to do with the
> versions of biber and biblatex.
>
> According to the biber handbook (Kime, UK) the latest are
>
> Biber version 1.8
>
> Biblatex version 2.8
>
> If I check via synaptic (debian)
>
> I have 0.9.9+release-1 for Biber
>
> and 1.7-1 for biblatex.

Thos are very old version. I would not recommend using biblatex <2

> Since I have installed texlive 2013
>
> I searched for biber and found it to be in
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/bin/x86-64-linux/
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/doc/bibtex/
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/source/bibtex/
>

> and biblatex in
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/doc/latex/
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/bibtex/csf/
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/bibtex/bst/
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/bibtex/bib/biblatex/
>

> Two questions:
>

> How can I find out the version of these?

for biber type
biber --version
at a prompt

for biblatex, the easier way is to look at the latex log. Whn biblatex is
loaded (at the beginning of the log) it will tell you the version

How can I find out, that they are used by lyx

If you have multiple versions of biber, it may get complicated. It all
depends on your PATH variable, but there are additional complications if
you start lyx from  the GUI. If you start lyx from the command line
(recommended), then lyx will find the biber program whose version you saw
with "biber --version" and which is located in the output of "which biber".
If you start it from the GUI (double-clicking on a lyx file, using the F2
shortcut in Kde, etcetera), it all depends on how you set up KDE. I never
got the hang of it, to be frank, so I always start it from the command line.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org