I have installed Lyx (several times!) on two Mint16 machines; one a 32-bit version and the other 64-bit. Mint is based on Ubuntu 13. In both cases, when installing either from a download from the Lyx site or via the .deb repository, it installs without any classes or layouts; i.e., it is not very useful. If I try to read the User Manual, it comes up with an error saying it cannot find the appropriate class to display the data. Catch 22.

In previous installations on earlier distributions of Linux in other years, the installation was seamless and problem free. Help!

Jim