Mark,

I understand your frustrations, but these installation discrepancies are
small problems, and they are perfectly known normally by the users (you can
search the mail list, and you will find these problems there and solutions
to them). So you have not been cheated by a commercial vendor hiding from
you the deficiencies of the product he sells (see below on your
responsibilities as a user, from my point of view as a user)...

There was also a lot of discussion about the big rewriting of the BEAMER
module in the previous beta version. This is a big change, but it goes in
the correct direction, even if each of us had to take sometime to get used
to the new standard. You should read the documentation on the new beamer
module. My beamer slides from much older versions of LyX have nearly all
been imported without any big problems (including elements in the preamble,
but see the end of this paragraph). You sometime need to add a separation
at the end of a slide, and eliminate instructions - old tricks - that are
not necessary in the newer versions of beamer.

In any case, this is a software developed by a community of dedicated
developers with limited resources, as J ürgen reminds it in his message.
And I am grateful to them that they indeed "put this software out to the
public", to which I belong (I am mainly a user).

Communities developing open source softs cannot just reply "take it or
leave it" to users who formulate criticisms, but these users have also the
responsibility of taking time to collect some information about the soft
before adopting it  (because adopting a new software is a time consuming
process, whatever is the software - commercial like SWP or not), and of
making suggestions of amelioration for the soft, when they have new needs,
instead of flaming the community with their definitive improductive
judgements.

I hope that you will quickly solve your problems.

Murat

--

*Prof. Murat Yildizoglu*

Note: Please use the following address as such

UNIVERSITE DE BORDEAUX
GREThA (UMR CNRS 5113)
MURAT YILDIZOGLU
16 AVENUE LEON DUGUIT