-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org>
Date: Thursday 8 May 2014 00:17
To: Barry Brent <barrybr...@iphouse.com>
Cc: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>, <sw...@lyx.org>, Benjamin Piwowarski
<bpiwo...@lyx.org>
Subject: Re: creating my first lyx doc

>On 05/07/2014 04:54 PM, Barry Brent wrote:
>> As it happens I'm using version 2.1 with Mac OS 9.
>> But in the Mac OS 9 version of Version 2.1, the
>> menu
>>
>> Document ? View (Other Formats)
>>
>> is empty.
>
>Did you install MacTeX prior to installing LyX? If so, then you might try
>Reconfiguring LyX. I'm not sure where that is on the OSX menus. Here, it
>is at Tools> Reconfigure, but it might be elsewhere for you. (OSX has its
>own way of doing things.)

It’s Tools > Reconfigure

>Actually, it is very odd that the menu is completely empty. LyX has
>certain
>internal formats it can produce without external assistance, such as
>XHTML,
>so you should at least see that, even if LaTeX is not installed.
>
>Is that menu still empty if you check it when the Tutorial is open?

As soon as you have any document open you should have the menu. If no
document is open the entire Document menu should be greyed out.

I would suggest to check that TeX is installed: open System preferences
and make sure you have an item TeX Distribution. If you open that item you
should see a that TeXLive-2013 is selected.

If you don’t have TeX installed, go to http://tug.org/mactex/ and get it.

If TeX is installed do a Tools > Reconfigure
If it still doesn’t work open the Terminal and do a sudo texhash (you need
administrative permissions).
If it still doesn’t work try to reinstall LyX
If it still doesn’t work I am out of advices…

All the best!
Anders