I'm new to LyX and I'm trying to create
my first LyX document using the LyX Tutorial.
I described
my first try in an email to lyx-d...@lists.lyx.org
as follows:

******
I’m running into trouble teaching myself how to
use LyX from your document “The LyX Tutorial”.

I just tried out the suggestions in section 2.1.1:

2.1.1 Typing, Viewing, and Exporting

Open a new file with File◃New

Type a sentence like: This is my first LYX document!

Save your document with File ◃ Save As.

Create a PDF file, with View◃View or the
toolbar button <Mail Attachment.png>.
LYX will open a
PDF-viewer program displaying your document
as it will look when printed.3

Export the ready to print document with File ◃ Export
to a format you want.

Congratulations! You have written your first LYX
document. All of the rest is just details.

I got through the first three bullet points, but not the
fourth. (I’m using Mac OS 9.2.) In your pull-
down menu “View” there is no sub-option also
 called “View”. But there *is* an option called
“Toolbars” within which I found an option called
“View/Update”. That’s as close as I could come to
“View◃View”.

View/Update didn’t work.
(No viewer was forthcoming.)

*****

The reply was as follows:

*****

Which version are you using?
You should have View>View (Other Formats)
in 2.0.x (and it appears
you are using the Tutorial from some such version).
That has been moved to the Document menu
(Document> View (Other Formats)) in 2.1.x.
You should be able to choose PDF (pdflatex), e.g., off
that menu.

FYI, these questions are better suited to the
lyx-users list. This list is for discussion of problems
with the documentation itself.
Which maybe there is some here, but the
main issues seem to be
using the program.

*****

As it happens I'm using version 2.1 with Mac OS 9.
But in the Mac OS 9 version of Version 2.1, the
menu

Document ◃ View (Other Formats)

is empty.

Please advise.