To understand why that shouldn't happen you actually have to understand
that you are specifically doing something which is both strange and
backwards. The reason that EPS, PS, and PDF files work so well with Latex
and Lyx is because PDFs are vector based graphics. Converting an EPS and a
PS document to PDF should have a 1:1 lossless conversion, theoretically.
There is an eps2pdf command which converts EPS and SVG files to PDF. There
is also a way to include a PNG file into a PDF.

Frankly, I am extremely confused by this thread. A PDF document is vector
based. If you are handing them a PDF to print, they shouldn't have any
issue printing a vector based document. If you are including an EPS within
a PDF, the conversion happens on the backend to make the EPS into a PDF so
it is very easily included within the document. PNG images are raster based
and need to be converted into a vector to be included within a PDF, or at
least that is what I have read. There are libraries which will do this such
as graphicx. Note that the PNG is converted into a vector based system and
then included within the PDF document or it is used natively somehow and
then a vector image is the result (PDF).

Does this make sense? Perhaps I am just missing something but printers
should love vector based graphics. Mine does.
~Ben