On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:

>  On 08/28/2014 11:43 AM, stefano franchi wrote:
>

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 6:03 AM, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a fancy hyphenated word, crosstalk-cancelled, where I spell it
>> with (I believe) the proper - which is an n-dash. When this is rendered in
>> the vicinity of a line wrap, the entire thing gets pushed to the next line,
>> leaving a lot of ugly white space in the first line. So I inserted a
>> hyphenation point after the -. This shows on the LyX screen as sort of --
>> which is my original n-dash and a shorter blue dash, probably supposed to
>> represent a hyphen. This is all great, but when this version is rendered,
>> the line break now appears after crosstalk--, that is, both the n-dash
>> _and_ the hyphenation point are rendered which looks very wrong. What is
>> the typographer's say on this, and is LyX doing the right thing. Also, is
>> this a LyX problem or a TeX problem? My guess the typographer would say,
>> let the n-dash stand alone if it occurs at a line break.
>>

>  This stackexchange question [1] contains more info than you probably
> wished for, but it may still be useful in laying out the various ways to
> approach the problem. Richard's suggestion (\newline) is indeed one of
> those listed. Of course, all solution refer to LaTeX an not Lyxd, which
> means you can use them only if you insert them in ERT boxes (and add the
> corresponding packages, when needed, to your Document's preamble)
>
> [1]
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2193307/how-to-get-latex-to-hyphenate-a-word-that-contains-a-dash
>

> Wow, that is a lot of information! Mostly, that deals with cases where you
> use the word a lot. I took this to be more of a one-off sort of issue. But
> I'm going to save that link....

Well, for more time-wasting typographic fun, you could also read the
following SX question [1]. Look in particular at the answer from "Lover of
Structure" One of the highest ranked). Best explanation I have ever found
of the difference between hyphen and en-dash in compound words.

Cheers,

S.

[1] http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/3819/dashes-vs-vs

Stefano Franchi