Wait til you read about bouncing signals off of derelict satellites...

;)
I read about the wifi when you mentioned it originally, but I'm trying to
avoid relying on a traditional internet connection.

I guess long range wifi is a thing, though.

I'll be reading about QRSS.

I've seen it mentioned in my brief research on this topic, but I'm
unfamiliar with it beyond that.