Hey guys,

I maintain a rather large (building wide) Zigbee network with some sensors
for data collection. We are using the 900Mhz Zigbee Pro modules and it
works pretty well. Digi makes a device called a point manager that acts as
a bridge between Ethernet or serial. I've used a few hooked to the M100 as
wireless modems and they work pretty well. The only downside is cost.

Not to change the subject but recently I've gotten into the ESP8266 WiFi
modules. Posted about them a while back on here. They are basically $4 wifi
to UART devices with some GPIO ports and programming capability. I put one
with a Lipo battery inside one of my M100s. I used the Originate Anser
switch on the side as a power switch, wired in the LIPO charger circuit to
the DC jack and hooked the battery low light to the full charge indicator.
I soldered the TX/RX wires directly onto the UART inside the M100 since it
has TTL levels. This also lets me continue to use the serial port on the
back when the ESP8226 module is off. Works pretty well. You use AT commands
to connect to other network devices. For example to "telnet" to my home
linux machine I type ATDT192.168.1.82 from the terminal and I'm in.

Just another cheaper than Xbee option to consider that uses an already
established medium like WiFi.

Brian