On 16 December 2015 at 18:30, John Gardner <gof...@gmail.com <mailto:gof...@gmail.com>> wrote:

                Historically, telecom regulation in the UK was rather
                different
                than what we're used to - Television receivers
                required licenses,
                for instance.  Data was charged for by the byte.  I'm
                speculating
                that built-in modems may have (had) some similar
                dis-incentive
                built-in for the manufacturer or retailer.

One of the *big* things here in Australia that caused issue with the Telecom Approval process was that the specific line isolation transformer used in the machine was considered too small and therefore unable to provide the 3KV isolation that was required, so it was never approved. In the same era, modems here were pretty big.

Another issue would have been that the modem used Bell 103 tones, not CCITT v.21 which was standard in Australia (and probably the UK), so that was also unacceptable.

I remember spending ages experimenting with resistors and capacitors in the active bandpass filters within the modem to allow CCITT tones to operate. It worked reasonably well, but was never perfect.

Doug

--
Doug Jackson

Dougs Word Clocks.com Pty Ltd