> BTW, I'm not sure exactly what John's policy is regarding the bitchin100
list archive; insofar
> as it restricts at least some access to members only I'd be curious what
the justification is.

Aha!  You picked up on the subtle unstated point of mine.  :-)   My guess
is probably server load though, as initiated by bots that could happen if
the membership requirement was removed.

Anyway, as for community groups, I do think "the more the merrier" is
good.  Walled gardens, un-walled gardens, public forums, etc etc..  ButI
also think cross references would be a great thing, too.  Content doesn't
have to be exclusive at all.  But, you can't ignore that there are some
convenience features within these various groupware features that make it
attractive.  Being able to have multimedia content, with the ability like,
comment on, or share and promote all within a walled garden group to pull
in other walled garden members is kind of a nice thing.  They make it
damned easy to have an immediate community presence when you set up a
Google Group or Facebook Group.  The "nice" groupware features is what
makes it attractive to set things like this up..

Gary

P.S. Welcome Steve!