Från: M100 [m100-boun...@lists.bitchin100.com] för John R. Hogerhuis
[jho...@pobox.com]
Skickat: den 27 april 2017 19:23
Till: Model 100 Discussion
Ämne: Re: [M100] Questions regarding Full Null Modem Cables, specif Serial to
USB

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Paul Bucalo
<pm...@aol.com<mailto:pm...@aol.com>> wrote:
I was hoping for a rationale based on experience, i.e., USB works well or not
at all. Doesn't really matter much. Most likely I will make up a new cable
using DB25-to-DB9.

My favorite cable is the full-null belkin serial laplink cable, if you can find
one. Never had a problem with any of them, ever. f3x171-10, but they are hard
to find these days though they were very cheap for a while. To use with Model
T, you need to have a db-25 gender changer.

But generally, you need a full-null cable. I wouldn't go with 3 wire cables
since you may want to experiment with hardware flow control (HTERM, my bare
bones / dumb terminal to Linux) given that you hook to Linux which overruns the
Model T 64-byte serial buffer when using software flow control.

Also Linux utilities throw in UTF-8 and lots of formatting codes. HTERM maps
to/from utf-8 and strips ANSI color escapes, stuff like that.

One thing to be aware of is some cables bump into the Model100 case and keep it
from mating properly. You may have to shave some off the housing to make it
fit, or ideally find one that fits into the space available, after adding the
thin-hood gender changer.

USB on the PC side is fine. I recommend only devices with FTDI chipsets,
however (not Prolific). The FTDI drivers generally allow more configurability
which ends up being necessary with TS-DOS (TS-DOS loves to time-out... remember
USB serial devices have a tendency to delay/collect bytes to "efficiently" send
a larger packet).

-- John.