From: M100 [mailto:m100-boun...@lists.bitchin100.com] On Behalf Of Jim
Anderson
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:25 PM
To: m100@lists.bitchin100.com
Subject: [M100] Fresh meat! (trying not to ripple the waters)

Hi folks.  Just joined this mailing list today.

I've been reading messages from the archives for a little while this
evening, and I'm glad I did, because I was originally going to blindly wade
in here with 'Anybody know where I can buy a NADSBox and one or more REX
modules?  Please???' - I see I'm nowhere near the first in line.  :(

(edit: This message got a lot longer than I'd originally planned - what
comes next is a saga that would not have been nearly as interesting (and
might even have been over already) if it weren't for all the hard work that
folks here have done and continue to do to keep the M100 alive and relevant.
Thank You to all of you from my family.)

I'm fairly new to the M100 world.  Admired and drooled over the
M100/T102/T200 in the Radio Shack catalogue back in the day, but couldn't
possibly afford one back then.  Happened across one for sale early this year
and succumbed to the nostalgia factor.

As soon as I showed it to my kids, they were enthralled.  (13 year old boy,
8.5 year old girl.)  Bashed out a quick program to greet them by name.  Next
thing I know I'm tracking down PDFs of the manuals because my son wants to
know how to generate sound and I don't remember...  Then I'm trawling ebay
looking for more machines and putting VirtualT on a laptop because they're
fighting for time on mine...

Now I've got four (one for parts) and looking for another parts machine
because mine has started developing dead columns of pixels in the bottom
half of the display and the parts machine already has a bad display... have
accumulated printed copies of a few of the manuals, a TPDD2 which I had to
re-belt (which thankfully came with a utility disk, although I see that's no
longer such a concern as of very recently, thanks Kurt!), miscellaneous
cables (but no parallel cable yet), and one UR-II (v1.21 - sadly, no Sardine
support, although I've found that having IDEA! on the go is fantastic - I
love that program).

The kids are still mad at it, each after their own nature.  They both have
been working on text adventure games, but my son seems more focused on
adding music at every step, while my daughter is very focused on the story.
I think it's a fantastic thing to teach kids even in this age.  They've been
through a few rounds of the heartache unexpected cold resets can bring, and
learned the importance of backups and the fun of combing through the
recovered contents of RAM looking for bits of their documents.  They're
thinking through the logic of their programs and getting a closer 'feel' for
how it all works.  My daughter is using hers to write stories and a journal,
too.

It's been a ton of fun so far.  Since I discovered the various resources
available for interfacing with modern computers, things got a lot easier
(even before I got the disk drive operational).  Experiencing what REX and a
NADSBox would be like through using VirtualT has had me longing to have
these facilities available on our physical hardware... still, we've been
doing quite well.  I'm no stranger to rs-232 interfaces so starting off
transferring text files was a piece of cake... when I discovered TBACK it
was almost world-changing.  Being able to make regular backups easily...
being able to swap back and forth between different memory images for
different purposes in a very REX-like manner (except not portable)... and
the most fun, being able to drop TBACK images files into VirtualT in place
of RAM.BIN made copying individual files so much easier.

Then discovered mComm.  Moved my TPDD folder into Dropbox so I can have
mComm on machines at work and at home instead of just on the same box as
VirtualT.  Hoping to be able to access that Dropbox TPDD folder using the
Android version of mComm.

I'd love to add a Bluetooth serial interface to one (or more) of my
machines, and I've got a couple of ideas of my own for that, although I'd
love to hear what anybody else has already done.  (Of course it won't be
useful for mComm TPDD access unless I have a REX module since I won't have
any way of using the TS-DOS with modified delays... would still be fun for
telnetting into my home server wirelessly.)

Full of ideas, but with precious little spare time to spend implementing
them.  :(  Still, it's been inspiring and fascinating to be able to connect
with my kids over something that gives them a different perspective on
computing than video games, Youtube, and Minecraft.

        jim